Friday, June 01, 2007

Podcast Gamer

As I write this it is Friday morning and I am having a day off from work (equivalent of a flexible rostered day off). I've just sorted out some computer issues - spent about 1 1/2 hours getting rid of various objects that have somehow found themselves onto our computer and were making the online experience not much fun at all. Eventually downloaded and ran adaware (type it into google if you want to get to a decent freeware bug killer for you computer). Restarted the computer, and eventually all is cool.

Anyway...

I am listening to a really cool podcast about gaming. It is by Mark Johnson, a dude from california who regularly produces podcasting blog called Boardgames to Go. There, he discusses games. I've not been into podcasts much, so this is a pretty cool experience.

I am listening to an entry called "Introduction to Strategy Boardgames". Very good. He discusses the modern Eurogames/German Games, such as Carcassone, Settlers of Catan, etc. I've not much played these games (and none of those named).

He sees the 'new games' as generally showing the following traits:

Of moderate length 1-2 hours
Not Brain Burning
Strategic elements
Social elements
Thematic (not very abstract)
Look Great
"Neat simple elegant rules that make a fun game to play"

Sounds a bit like what I regard as the requirements of a good game in any genre, on any platform. Which is comforting, because it kind of supports my hypothesis that the gaming gene is of universal application.

I might have a go at this podcasting caper sometime soon, sounds like fun!

No comments: