Friday, March 27, 2009

Bligh and Blighty


This is my new Cap'n Bligh avatar which I use on the forums surrounding Cross Fire. It is a picture of the real and famous Captain Bligh, of 'Mutiny on the Bounty' fame. This picture is from 1806. Fletcher Christian had mutinied about 16 years earlier.

I have been reading a book about the 'other' mutiny experienced by Bligh. He was governor of New South Wales (the convict colony which Australia then was) in 1808 when the evolving kangaroo capitalists and the New South Wales Corps staged a bloodless military coup in Sydney against his governorship. Bligh was subject to house arrest for a year, and it took another year to (bloodlessly) prise the rebels out of power. Bligh was not reinstated. He still holds the record, I believe, for leading his crew from the Bounty in an open boat across the pacific ocean, a distance of some 6000 miles (?!). He would have had some leadership ability I'm sure.

Anyway ... I joined a 'clan' in Crossfire. It is called 'Blighty'. How could I resist? I'll see how it goes, reporting back here. I would like to think that it will lead to a few steady ingame partnerships, evolving tactics, etc. We'll see.

Cap'n Bligh's motto, by the way, is "Swing 'em high, Swing 'em low, but keep 'em swinging".

No comments: